2014-05-05

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

May 5, 2014 - 10:00pm

University appoints new director of Housing Security and Safety Services

BY SAM GRINGLAS

Timothy Young, director of campus security at Kalamazoo College, has been named the University’s director of Housing Security and Safety Services.

Beginning June 1, Young will supervise 40 security officers and staff, reporting directly to Eddie Washington, Jr., executive director of the Division of Public Safety and Security.

As the head of the University’s housing security, Young is charged with ensuring student safety in the residence halls, in addition to coordinating emergency planning and security.

Last year, the University reorganized its security units, including housing security, under the newly-established DPSS.

Young has served since 2005 at Kalamazoo College, a 1450-student, private college located on the west side of the state. At Kalamazoo College, he managed all security operations, including athletic events, as well as compliance with the Clery Act. Previously, Young served with the Michigan State Police, with duties that included acting as the public information officer and emergency response commander for the Fifth District regional dispatch center.

A DPSS release cited Young's experience at an institution of higher education and his connections with local and state law enforcement agencies as key factors in his selection from over 100 candidates.

Eileen Wilson-Oyelaran, president of Kalamazoo College, lauded Young’s deep understanding of students.

“U of M is getting a gem as a professional and a human being; and he will leave Kalamazoo College with campus safety more professionalized, respected across all sectors of campus, and much more connected to the students,” she said in a statement.

|