2014-04-28

Monday, December 22, 2014

April 28, 2014 - 12:55pm

University announces $7.7 million donation for cognitive science

BY SHOHAM GEVA

The University announced Monday that it had received a $7.7 million donation from University alum Marshall Weinberg for the creation of the Weinberg Institute for Cognitive Science, which will be housed as a part of LSA.

The institute will promote an interdisciplinary approach to issues surrounding the way the mind and brain function, and will offer both an undergraduate major in cognitive science, which was previously launched through LSA earlier this year, and a graduate certification.

In a press release, Weinberg said his donation was driven by the earlier success of the Weinberg Cognitive Science Symposium at the University, which encourages students to take a multi-faceted approach to the study of the brain.

“Over the years in talking to students and faculty, I have realized that interdisciplinary learning has the most meaningful impact,” he said in the release. “As a result, I created the Weinberg Cognitive Science Symposium, which has explored a variety of cognitive issues. That success led to the formation of the institute.”

Also in the release, interim LSA dean Susan Gelman said the creation of the institute would allow students to continue to ask important and provocative questions about the mind and the brain.

“Marshall Weinberg's vision and exceptional generosity will create unprecedented opportunities for students and faculty to examine the human mind from an interdisciplinary perspective,” she said.

$700,000 of the donation comes from a previous donation from Weinberg which will be transferred for use in the Institute. He has now donated $14.28 million in total to the University.

|