2014-05-02

Thursday, July 24, 2014

May 2, 2014 - 1:24pm

UMHS announces details of fundraising campaign

BY SHOHAM GEVA

Thursday afternoon, the University Health System announced the details of its $1 billion fundraising campaign Medicine Needs Victors, which represents the most ambitious campaign to date for UMHS.

The campaign is a part of the overall Victors for Michigan campaign, which launched last November across the University. Victors for Michigan has an overall fundraising goal of $4 billion.

According to the release, UMHS has set five main focus areas for its fundraising goal: $515 million for research, $200 million for patient care, $85 million for scholarships funds and programs for new scientists and medical students, $100 million for attracting and retaining faculty and $100 million for infrastructure improvements.

Ora Pescovitz, executive vice president for medical affairs, said in the release that the campaign, and subsequent investment in the five focus areas named, are vitally important to UMHS’s future.

“The opportunities to advance health care have never been greater and few institutions are as well-positioned as we are to take the lead,” Pescovitz said. “We want donors to know they can have a real impact on making healthcare better for themselves, their families, friends and communities by supporting the Victors for Michigan campaign.”

The campaign has already received contributions from 46,000 donors.