2013-08-19

Thursday, July 24, 2014

August 19, 2013 - 9:22am

Transportation board adds Ypsilanti as member city, adopts new name

BY TAYLOR WIZNER

The Ann Arbor Transportation Authority added the City of Ypsilanti as a member municipality at its monthly meeting last week, forming the new Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority, also known as TheRide.

Both the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti city councils voted unanimously to amend the AATA Articles of Incorporation to include a partner city. TheRide’s new board will add two more positions, totaling nine board members with one member representing Ypsilanti.

Gillian Ream, the communications and development coordinator at the Ypsilanti District Library, will serve as the Ypsilanti representative on TheRide’s Board of Directors. Ypsilanti Mayor Paul Schreiber nominated Ream for her experience with local transit, including her work at Bike Ypsi and the Michigan Suburbs Alliance.

TheRide CEO Michael Ford said in a statement that the addition of the partner city increases the number of transportation options for the community.

“Adding the City of Ypsilanti aligns with our vision to bring more transportation options to a greater number of residents and strengthens our ability to maintain existing levels of service, while continuing to improve and expand service where possible,” Ford said. “This includes increasing frequency and hours of operation, which has been a common thread in community discussions.”

|