2014-01-17

Friday, April 18, 2014

January 18, 2014 - 3:41pm

Sexual assault reported in Mason Hall

BY JACK TURMAN

A female student was inappropriately grabbed by three unknown men in a Mason Hall stairway at about 2 p.m. Friday, University Police reported.

The student reported that the men approached in her in a stairway, hugged her and then grabbed her. One of the suspects said it was “free hug day.” The student broke free and fled the scene, according to University Police.

The three suspects were described as being between 18 and 19 years old, having average builds and wearing black clothing. Two of the suspects wore black skullcaps and the third wore a black hoodie. One suspect is around 5-foot-7 inches tall, another was between 5-foot-4 and 5-foot-5, and the final suspect was 5-foot-5 to 5-foot-6 with braided dreadlocks and one or two front teeth missing.

University Police are classifying the incident as sexual assault in the fourth degree, which is defined as forced sexual contact. The crime is punishable by up to two years in jail and/or a fine of $500.

Anyone with information about the incident or suspect is encouraged to contact University Police at (734)-763-1131.

If you are a survivor of sexual assault, the University offers many resources for counseling and reporting. A listing of available services can be found here. In addition, the University's Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center staffs a 24/7 crisis line at (734) 936-3333.