2013-11-27

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

November 26, 2013 - 3:24pm

Rep. Peters makes Congressional wager on OSU game

BY KATIE BURKE

The matchup ESPN has dubbed “the greatest North American sports rivalry of the twentieth century” has infiltrated an already divided environment — Congress.

U.S. Senator Sherrod Brown (D–Ohio) and U.S. Representative Gary Peters (D-Bloomfield Hills), who is running for the Senate in 2014, placed a “friendly wager” Tuesday on the outcome of Saturday’s football game between Ohio State University and Michigan.

There are high stakes — the loser must give the winner craft beer from his home state. The beers of choice are Great Lakes Christmas Ale, brewed in Ohio, or a six-pack from the Detroit Beer Company, based in downtown Detroit.

“I’m glad to make a safe and friendly wager with Senator Brown because I have every confidence in the Wolverines prevailing this weekend,” Peters said in a statement.

Peters, who holds degrees from Alma College, University of Detroit Mercy, Wayne State University Law School and Michigan State University, will have to put aside his MSU loyalties and cheer on the Wolverines. His daughter is currently in her freshman year at the University.

“With our daughter Maddy enjoying her first fall at U of M, I’m looking forward to a good game, but worst case scenario, I’m sure the Browns will be happy to upgrade to Detroit beer,” he said.

Brown holds degrees from Ohio State and has taught at OSU’s Mansfield campus. He has been focused on higher education improvement efforts in the state and hosts an annual conference in Washington, D.C. with more than 25 college and university presidents to discuss connections between education and local business.

“I’m glad to join Rep. Peters in a friendly bet with regional pride and great local beer on the line,” Brown said in a statement. “Win or lose, my wife Connie and I look forward to enjoying our Great Lakes Christmas Ale.”

Wednesday’s bet is the first time Peters has wagered on a Michigan football rivalry. Haley Morris, Peters’ Communication Director, said displaying state pride has been a growing trend in D.C.

“I can see this going on and becoming a new tradition for both of them,” Morris said.

|