2014-06-14

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

June 14, 2014 - 10:23pm

Public Policy student passes away from heart disease

BY SHOHAM GEVA

In an email Saturday morning, Public Policy Dean Susan Collins informed undergraduates, graduate students, staff and faculty in the Ford School of the passing of public policy graduate student Kenneth Furlough from hypertensive heart disease earlier in the week.

Collins remembered Furlough, who started his graduate studies at the University in 2013 and was in the Masters of Public Policy program, for his character and dedication.

“As many of you know, Kenneth was a warm, kind, gregarious person, with a lasting commitment to public policy,” she wrote. “We're all deeply saddened by the news of his death.”

In a follow up email later that morning, Susan Guindi, Ford School director of student and academic services, provided students with a list of resources available both on and off campus.

For students on campus, Counseling and Psychological Services is available for walk-in appointments. The Dean of Students Office is also available to notify departments and faculty of the situation for students enrolled in spring classes who experience an interruption in their academics.

For students off campus, a CAPS staff member can speak to them by phone at 734-764-8312. Meetings with CAPS staff members are confidential.

Guindi also wrote that faculty and staff are able and ready to provide support and assistance to students.

|