2014-03-27

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

March 27, 2014 - 12:07am

Pro-choice and pro-life groups protest on Diag

BY AMIA DAVIS

Campus organizations Students for Life and Students for Choice shared the Diag Wednesday morning to share their differ perspectives with students about Roe v. Wade and Planned Parenthood.

Students for Life was originally planning a protest called “What Has Roe Done For Us” to discuss the issues of abortion and different regulations before and after Roe v. Wade, a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision that affirmed a woman's right to obtain an abortion, was decided in 1973.

Engineering sophomore Mary Nachazel, president of Students for Life, said the protest aimed to inform students of the negative side effects of abortion and how women have died when abortion was both legal and illegal. She said she also wanted to expose the issues of abortion and get people to talk about it.

“Everyone has a story to this issue, and it’s important to talk about it,” Nachazel said.

Students for Choice intercepted the Students for Life protest shortly after it began with their own posters and counter-protest.

LSA junior Sophia Kotov, president of Students for Choice, said she was frustrated by the protest. She claimed the Students for Life organization that was hosting the protest was not the University chapter, but the national association.

“I know the people who are involved in the student organization for Students for Life, and they were not there,” Kotov said.

Kotov said she was also frustrated because the Students for Life protest was spreading allegedly false information about abortion and Planned Parenthood.

“One poster said 97 percent of the Planned Parenthood services are abortion, which is definitely wrong — 2 to 3 percent are abortion, and the rest is birth control, contraceptives, breast cancer exams, etc. We wanted to make it very clear today that the University does not condone these kinds of demonstrations,” Kotov said.

Nachazel said she was pleased with the turnout and success of the Students for Life protest.

“We had a lot of conversations, which is what we wanted,” Nachazel said.

Kotov said the Students for Choice interception was also a success. She said the group received a lot of support for students passing through the Diag.

|