2013-12-09

Friday, April 18, 2014

December 9, 2013 - 12:26am

Report: Plane in crash that killed University professor had engine problems

BY ALICIA ADAMCZYK

The plane involved in the Jan. 12 crash that killed Art & Design prof. Shaun Jackson had previously been force-landed for engine problems, according to a report by the National Transportation Safety Board. The report found that according to aircraft maintenance logbooks, the last condition inspection was performed in Sept. 2012. Jackson was 63 at the time of the crash.

“Reportedly, this was the first flight for the airplane since the maintenance work was completed,” the report states.

The plane was reportedly forced to land during a Sept. 2012 flight in Florida and had a fuel injector line replaced. It is not clear if Jackson knew of the problems before he went on the flight. He was intending to buy the plane.

The plane hit three pine trees on the New College of Florida Campus before it crashed and was engulfed in flames. A witness interviewed in the report said as the plane approached trees after take-off, it “pancaked” into the trees.

“He then saw a plume of smoke and realized the airplane had crashed. He stated that the airplane ‘looked like it was under powered from the beginning,’ ” the report says.

The Art & Design prof. also held appointments in the Ross School of Business and the Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning. He also owned his own consulting firm, Shaun Jackson Designs, which worked with clients including Apple, Nike and General Electric Medical Systems.

The pilot, William Ardoyno, 70, was killed in the crash. Jackson died three days after the incident in the hospital. He is survived by his wife, Cathy, and children.

The Detroit News first reported on the NTSB report.

|