June 17, 2014 - 8:14pm
BY SHOHAM GEVA
This story has been updated to reflect additional information from University Police.
Non-essential personnel were evacuated from the University’s Comprehensive Cancer Center Tuesday afternoon because of concerns over hazardous material, according to an MLive report.
Vic Chevrette, Washtenaw County Hazardous Materials Response Team Director, who was not at the scene, confirmed to The Michigan Daily that there was a hazmat crew at the scene.
University Police said Tuesday evening the hazardous material in question was a common solvent used in cleaning and other research activity, which began giving off an odor from the autoclave it was confined to that afternoon.
An autoclave is a sterilizing device.
The odor was what led to the evacuation, which University Police said was a precautionary measure.
Four staff from the affected research area were taken for medical evaluation as an additional precautionary measure, and were promptly released. The building was reoccupied at 6:40 P.M, with the exclusion of several rooms around the affected area, and University Police said the situation had been resolved.
According to its website, the center focuses on “the conquest of cancer through innovation and collaboration” through clinical and lab research, testing of National Cancer institute therapies, patient education, and medical trainings.
This is a developing story. Check back to michigandaily.com for updates.