2013-02-27

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

February 27, 2013 - 12:18am

In Other Ivory Towers: University of Pennsylvania medical research team has breakthrough in cancer research

BY STEVEN ZENG

After approximately 20 years of work, Carl June and his research team have made a breakthrough in T-cell immunotherapy, a type of emerging cancer treatment, The Daily Pennsylvanian reported Monday.

Nine out of 12 patients who received the treatment since 2011 have responded favorably to it. June described the treatment as a blood transfusion, except with the patent's own blood, which has been altered in a lab. June told the Pennsylvanian that there has not been a single precedent where a treatment method like this has gone from a laboratory setting to treating actual patients, unless it was done by a pharmaceutical company.

“They didn’t think it would work, so there’s only a bunch of diehard academics at a few cancer centers working on this and finally it broke through and it does work,” June said.

University of California, Los Angeles teaching assistant makes learning musical

A UCLA teaching assistant has blended science with music to engage and educate students in his classes, The Daily Bruin reported Monday.

Julio Rodriguez, a teaching assistant studying physics at UCLA, came up with the idea of using instruments to demonstrate concepts in his physics, astronomy and engineering classes during his first year as a graduate student. While tuning his violin one evening, Rodriguez found he could show sound interference by plucking the strings.

“With physics and all sciences, we’re basically trying to discover the language of the universe. It’s already written. It’s already there,” Rodriguez said. “But with music, that’s something that comes from the creativity of the human mind.”

|