2013-11-06

Thursday, April 24, 2014

November 5, 2013 - 8:23pm

In Other Ivory Towers: Michigan State University coping with landscape damages after weekend game

BY SAM GRINGLAS

After a weekend football matchup against the University, Michigan State University is working to repair extensive landscape damage sustained on campus during Saturday’s game, the State News reported Monday.

Sean O’Connor, MSU’s Landscape Services manager, told the State News that the damage was the worst he has seen during his career.

Wet conditions, coupled with high-volume game-day traffic, left muddy ruts where the grass was.

“It’s the most damage I think I’ve seen here for a game,” O’Connor said. “It was just the perfect storm.”

O’Connor said many tailgaters ignore signage and ropes which signal vehicles to avoid driving or parking in certain areas. Some tailgaters have even moved concrete barriers to snag a parking spot.

When vehicles leave ruts in muddy grass, Landscape Services must bring in new soil and reseed the area, costing about 20 cents per square foot.

Depending on the situation, the Athletic Department or Parking Commission often covers the expenses.

“I wouldn’t say necessarily that students directly are paying for that kind of damage," he said.

Penn State commences search for next president

The University is not the only member of the Big 10 Conference searching for a new leader.

Pennsylvania State University has initiated the search for its next president, The Daily Collegian reported Friday.

Penn State President Rodney Erickson’s term expires at the end of June. The university’s board of trustees, akin to the Michigan’s Board of Regents, said they hope to select his replacement by then.

Like the University’s presidential search committee, Penn State’s Trustee Presidential Selection Council has pledged to keep the process confidential to attract top-tier candidates.

Board of Trustees Chairman Keith Masser told The Daily Collegian that the search process will continue until the trustees find the best possible candidate to come before a full vote of the board.

"We fully expect that our efforts will ensure we attract a president who can truly maximize the potential of our exceptional University,” Masser said.

|