Thursday, July 30, 2015

Advertise with us »

June 6, 2014 - 3:09pm

Michigan Union evacuated after West Quad construction fire


A fire broke out Friday morning in West Quad’s Cambridge House, prompting the evacuation of both the dormitory and the Michigan Union.

Susan Pile, director of the Michigan Union, said the fire resulted from a malfunction when construction crews in West Quad were removing a pipe.

Renovations at the residence hall commenced last month as a part of the Residential Life Initiative, an effort to modernize University dorm life.

The fire occurred at around 10:20 a.m. The buildings were evacuated for around 45 minutes while the Ann Arbor Fire Department extinguished the fire.

Pile said staff, students and authorities responded according to protocol in both extinguishing the fire and evacuating the building. No one sustained injuries and property was not damaged.

“I think that everybody responded well and did what they needed to do,” she said.