2013-01-30

Saturday, October 25, 2014

January 30, 2013 - 12:33am

THE INSTITUTION: CSG handles budget, event funding at meeting

BY STEPHEN YAROS

The Central Student Government had a busy Tuesday night. Their assembly meeting consisted of semester budget debate, last minute student event funding, and numerous guest speakers.

The Winter 2013 budget was presented by CSG Treasurer Chris Osborn, and although some questions and debate ensued, it was approved unanimously by the council. It has been put through the legislative process over the last few weeks and council members were happy with the results.

The council went on to address a previously proposed resolution allocating funds to the University of Michigan Winter Hack-a-thon event.

Scheduled for February 1 through the 3, the event was initially expected to be the biggest hack-a-thon in the Midwest, hosting approximately 300 participants. Now, they are expecting to be the biggest in the country with more than 800 in attendance.

Engineering sophomore Andrew Modell, an assembly member of CSG and director of technology for the Hack-a-thon, weighed in on the importance of the event.

“This is an event where people from all over the country are going to be coming in showing off their coding skills,” Modell said. “It’s basically great exposure for the university having an event of this scale.”

The resolution called for $3,000 from CSG to be directly allotted to the event. According to Modell, most of this will go towards accommodating and feeding the added number of participants.

The funds did come with a stipulation: CSG has been discussing the creation of an M-card mobile app for some time. This app would allow students to store their student information on their phone, eliminating the need to carry around the actual card to get into University events and buildings.

Now, as sponsors of the event, CSG’s mobile app will be presented and proposed to the Hack-a-thon participants in the hopes that someone will take an interest.

“It’s a win, win, win situation,” said Modell.

CSG also listened to a presentation from A2 Data Drive, a student event matching up non-profits with students in order to organize and utilize company data.

The group was looking for $500 in funding from CSG, but was referred to the Student Organization Funding Commission for assistance.

Additionally, CSG discussed and debated a newly proposed resolution stipulating new adequate parking for alternative modes of transportation on central campus. The resolution was sent to committee for revisions and will be visited next week.

|