2013-02-15

Sunday, October 26, 2014

February 16, 2013 - 8:00am

THE INSTITUTION: University Council confirms election director

BY GIACOMO BOLOGNA

On Wednesday night, the Central Student Government University Council confirmed Public Policy junior Caroline Holdren as election director for CSG's March elections in a 4-1 vote.

Holdren, a member of Army ROTC, does not have prior experience in CSG, but said she has already begun reviewing the election code. Last year’s CSG election was the most contested in several years — the results were not formalized until multiple weeks after voting occurred.

“Hopefully this year we won’t have as many problems,” Holdren said.

Shortly after the end of last year’s March election, Law student Peter Borock, then the election director, said he worked about 115 hours on the job. While there is not an indication that this will be the case for Holdren yet, she said she will be ready to work overtime.

“(I’m going to work) as many hours as I need to,” Holdren said.

LSA senior Lukas Garske fielded questions about the elections. He said a just under 50 applications were received for the position of election director — the position pays about about $500. Five applicants were given in-person interviews.

Representatives from the student governments of five schools and colleges of the University were in attendance. The dissenting vote came from Rackham, which was represented by its president Michael Benson.

While he had no qualms with the qualifications of Holdren, he said that CSG — while doing more than in past elections — did not do enough to promote the position.

“Every student at the University pays $7.19 to the Central Student Government,” Benson said. “So we’re all shareholders and this wasn’t really widely publicized.”

He continued, saying that there were advertising options that CSG didn’t explore like sending an all-campus e-mail.

During the meeting, LSA junior Omar Hashwi, the CSG vice president, said that CSG has a limited amount of all-campus e-mails and that they decided against using one in this instance.

In addition to the $500 paid to Holdren, Garske said $250 will be spent on advertising the election.