2013-02-01

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

February 1, 2013 - 2:08pm

THE INSTITUTION: Profiling the International Student Affairs Commission

BY GIACOMO BOLOGNA

Editor’s note: This blog post is part of a weekly series profiling the commissions and committees of the Central Student Government.

For students that can only take a trip back home two or three times a year, finding a community on campus is important. Made up of students from across the globe, the International Student Affairs Commission meets in the Central Student Government chambers every Thursday to discuss how best to create that community.

Business junior Jeff Kong, a native of Canada and the chair of ISAC said that it’s important to help facilitate the international student community at the University.

“I think it’s important to kind of bring out the international student side of Michigan because a lot of people tend stay within their own little cliques,” he said. “It’s kind of a place without borders.”

LSA freshman Aishwarya Dhume, a member of ISAC from India, said the commission provides a much-needed forum for international students.

“If (international students) want to reach out to the college and to voice your problems then this is a really good way to do it.”

Dhume said the long distance between the University and the home nations of many international students makes finding a community all the more necessary.

“It’s really important that you have someone to reach out to when you are so lost on such a huge campus.”

ISAC, which currently has the second largest budget of any CSG commission, will be hosting an International Night in March, where the group looks to bring together several different student groups to celebrate the world’s many cultures.

Follow Giacomo Bologna on Twitter at @giacomo_bologna and The Institution on Twitter at @TMDinstitution.

|