2013-11-19

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

November 18, 2013 - 10:20pm

THE INSTITUTION: Profiling CSG’s newest commissions: Commission on Student Entrepreneurship

BY ALLANA AKHTAR

This year the Central Student Government added a Commission on Student Entrepreneurship as an executive initiative in response to increased demand for classes that teach entrepreneurial skills.

Former CSG President Manish Parikh first conceived the idea for an entrepreneurship commission last year to encourage campus-wide entrepreneurship for new students and facilitate the already present entrepreneurial initiatives.

Though the assembly did not vote to extend the commission to the end of the winter 2013 semester, CSG reinstated it this semester, along with numerous other new executive commissions.

believes the commission came out of the interest and importance other student groups placed on entrepreneurial pursuits.

“With more momentum, more and more student organizations were starting to focus on changing the tone of innovation in Ann Arbor, and there was a need to connect these groups,” Kinesiology sophomore Chris O’Neil and president of the student-entrepreneurship organization MPowered, said.

Last year, the commission hosted the “Month of Entrepreneurship,” a celebration of entrepreneurship that featured events hosted by commission members. According to O’Neil, the goal of the commission is to promote the entrepreneurial ecosystem on campus by building “hype and momentum” around the drive for business.

The University has a history of successful entrepreneurs, including some of the founders of Google and Skype. University Provost Martha Pollack recently appointed engineering Prof. Thomas Zurbuchen as a senior adviser for entrepreneurial education.

“Our philosophy is that this recognition will attract better talent, more companies and more venture capital to southeast Michigan,” O’Neil said.

The commission is open to any members of entrepreneurial organizations. They meet the second and fourth Monday of every month in the Shapiro Undergraduate Library.

|