2013-12-11

Monday, April 21, 2014

December 11, 2013 - 1:26am

CSG to help develop new entrepreneurship program

BY AMRUTHA SIVAKUMAR

The Central Student Government announced Tuesday plans to further campus entrepreneurship by partnering with the administration to create a new academic program in the field.

Business senior Manish Parikh, former CSG president, kick-started engagement between student government and the entrepreneurial student organizations on campus when he founded CSG’s Entrepreneurship Commission.

Student government did not hold any public entrepreneurial initiatives in the fall semester. It did announce that by partnering with Engineering Prof. Thomas Zurbuchen, senior counselor to the provost, it would continue to further the entrepreneurial experience on campus.

In a press release, CSG President Michael Proppe said expanding the focus of entrepreneurship from technological startups to others, such as social justice and performance ventures, is important for the campus community.

Currently, the College of Engineering offers a nine-credit certificate program in entrepreneurship. The Program In Entrepreneurship offers 15 entrepreneurial courses across all University schools and colleges as part of its certificate in the winter semesters. One of these classes is a practicum that allows enrolled student to begin the process of starting a new venture.

While the press release did not outline a format for the newly proposed program, it said that it would take shape as an entrepreneurship minor. The program would involve both academic programs and student organizations to combine coursework with co-curricular activities on campus.

“For this to be successful, we need extensive student input,” Zurbuchen said in the release. “The key strength of Michigan entrepreneurship is its engaged student body.”

Zurbuchen and CSG will begin the process of recruiting interested students to form a “think tank” advisory group to develop the curriculum on Jan. 25.

|