2013-02-05

Friday, October 24, 2014

February 4, 2013 - 11:48pm

College presidents hold gun safety conference

BY DANIELLE RAYKHINSHTEYN

Today in Washington D.C., 25 college presidents gathered for a conference to discuss possible solutions for recent increases in gun violence.

The meetings comes in the wake of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn. in which 26 members of the school community were killed including 20 children.

Since the shooting, 350 college presidents have signed the College Presidents for Gun Safety letter. The Association of American Universities — has also written a letter addressing the issue. University President Mary Sue Coleman is on the executive committee of the AAU.

“As leaders of public and private universities, we strongly urge the president and the Congress to seek effective means of mitigating this scourge of American life,” the letter reads.

U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan said Congress needs outside pressure in order to enact legislation to prevent more gun violence, the AP reported. He feels that only the police force should be allowed to carry guns on school campuses — a response to the National Rifle Association's call for an armed guard in every school.

Obama spoke earlier in the day recognizing importance of overcoming the political challenges that face increased gun control measures.

|