2012-06-05

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

June 5, 2012 - 10:04am

Tentative schedule released for Hockeytown Winter Festival

BY MATT SLOVIN

Hockeytown has quite the winter season ahead of it.

Tuesday, the Detroit News reported a preliminary schedule of events for Detroit’s Hockeytown Winter Festival was announced. The culmination of the festivities, which will take place during the last two weeks of December, will be the National Hockey League’s Winter Classic. On January 1, 2013, the Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs will square off at Michigan Stadium.

As promised at the event’s announcement in February, the festival will span all levels of hockey — from youth to collegiate to the NHL.

The Michigan hockey team will be participating in the Great Lakes Invitational, to be held outdoors in 2012 for the first time in its storied history. Comerica Park will host the four-team tournament.

Here’s the proposed schedule, as reported by the Detroit News:

Dec. 15-26: A celebration of hockey featuring amateur games, corporate outings and open skates. There will also be opportunities for booking ice time.

Dec. 27-31: An outdoor festival featuring interactive games, autograph signings, face painting, ice sculpture exhibits, musical performances and other entertainment.

Dec. 27-28: The Great Lakes Invitational featuring Michigan, Michigan State, Western Michigan and Michigan Tech.

Dec. 29: An Ontario Hockey League doubleheader featuring the Windsor Spitfires taking on the Saginaw Spirit and the Plymouth Whalers facing the London Knights.

Dec. 30: An American Hockey League Game — the Grand Rapids Griffins against the Toronto Marlies, AHL affiliates of the Red Wings and Maple Leafs.

Dec. 31: The Red Wings-Maple Leafs Alumni Showdown featuring legendary players from both organizations.

|