2012-04-30

Thursday, December 18, 2014

May 6, 2012 - 4:18pm

Student does not graduate, reported missing

BY GIACOMO BOLOGNA

Courtesy of Help Find Our Friend Brice Moss Facebook Group

LSA senior Brice Moss’s whereabouts remain unknown — he was first reported missing on Saturday afternoon, but he is believed to have been in Ann Arbor early Sunday morning.

Moss's case has been publicized on Twitter and Facebook by members of the University community and many people have forwarded information including where he was last seen in an attempt to locate him.

According to Sergeant Craig Flocken of the Ann Arbor Police Department, after coming to Ann Arbor for the commencement ceremony Moss’s family reported Moss missing to the AAPD.

According to University spokesperson Kelly Cunningham, the University has not conferred a degree on Moss and there is no record of Moss graduating Saturday. Moss’s name is not found in the 2012 Spring Commencement program.

Cunningham added that Moss was enrolled in classes at the University from summer 2008 until winter 2011 but has not been enrolled at the University since April 19, 2011.

Despite having not enrolled in over a year, Moss had his senior portrait taken for The Michiganensian, the University’s yearbook, and purchased a yearbook, according to a document obtained by The Michigan Daily with a list of the Michiganensian’s sales.

AAPD spokesperson Lt. Renee Bush said the AAPD is currently continuing investigation.

“Our detectives are actively working on it and we’re hopeful and optimistic that ... the case will be resolved,” she said.

Bush added that the use of Twitter and Facebook could help in finding Moss. A Facebook group, titled “Help Find Our Friend Brice Moss,” currently has over 1,000 likes.

“I’m very hopeful that with all this contact with social media getting the word out, I’m hoping he’ll reach out wherever he is to contact someone,” Bush said.

Moss — who lives on Vaughn street, South of the Diag — was reported last seen early Saturday morning in Kerrytown on Ann St. at 2:40 a.m. Flocken said the AAPD followed up on the report late Saturday night, meeting with Moss’s friends and roommates.

Flocken said Moss’s car — a tan 1999 Lincoln Towncar — was seen Sunday morning at 12:30 a.m. parked outside a friend’s house on Ann St. This was only a few hours after police had met with his friends and roommates trying to find him.

The car sighting was reported Sunday when police were continuing the investigation, Flocken said.
He added that the friend who noticed the car parked in front of his house had not had any contact with Moss and saw that the car was gone later Sunday morning.

While his location is still unknown, Flocken said it was known that Moss had friends at Tulane University, Michigan State University, Eastern Michigan University and Central Michigan University.

Flocken explained that the case will now be turned over to the Ann Arbor Police Detective Bureau. He added that similar missing persons cases are unusual, but not unheard of and said he is optimistic that the case will be resolved within the next two days.

Moss’s mother agreed to an interview with The Michigan Daily but was unavailable for comment at the designated time.

This is a developing story. Check back at michigandaily.com for updates.