2011-08-08

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

August 7, 2011 - 7:26pm

Stonum to redshirt in 2011; Hagerup suspended first four games

BY TIM ROHAN

File Photo/Daily

Darryl Stonum will have a year to sit and think about what he has done. Think of it as a one-year timeout.

The senior wide receiver who plead guilty to his second DUI charge in his Michigan career will be redshirted this season, per Michigan coach Brady Hoke.

“While it would be great to have Darryl on the field this season, we feel it is in his best interest and the best interest of our program for him to redshirt,” Hoke said in a statement. “Darryl will continue to be an important part of our team and family. He has done everything we have asked him to do, but our number one priority is to help Darryl grow as a person.”

The Wolverines' second-leading receiver in one of the best offenses in the country will be missed for his deep-threat ability and explosiveness as a kickoff returner. But Michigan has plenty of options to fill in for Stonum in the passing game.

Redshirt junior Roy Roundtree is coming off a near-1,000 yard season. Then there's fifth-year senior Junior Hemingway who was penciled in to be the big target (6-foot-1, 225 pounds) across from Stonum.

Senior Martavious Odoms has struggled with injuries, but when healthy he is one of Michigan's best route runners with sure hands to match. While fifth-year senior Kelvin Grady could also see an increased role, he has been relegated to the slot for most of his career.

Stonum caught 49 passes for 633 yards and four touchdowns in 2010 and averaged 23 yards per kickoff return, with a long of 61 yards.

In the same press release, Hoke announced that Michigan's only real viable option at punter, sophomore Will Hagerup, will be suspended the first four games of 2011. And wide receiver Terrence Robinson will also be suspended for just the season opener.

Both were suspended for violating team rules.

Hagerup averaged nearly 44 yards per punt last season, landing one-third of his boots inside the 20-yard line. He is a dangerous weapon in special teams, but this isn't his first suspension. Former Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez suspended Hagerup for the Ohio State game in 2010 for violating team rules. What Hagerup was truly suspended for never came to light.

So who will be the Wolverines' punter for the first four games?

Redshirt sophomore kicker Seth Broekhuizen has experimented with punting during practice. But at the spring game, that looked as if it had failed. And Broekuizen averaged 28 yards per punt on three attempts in relief of Hagerup. Incoming freshman Matt Wile may be the team's best option at both kicker and punter, a feat that is not as extraordinary as one may think.

Meanwhile, Robinson, who has yet to reach his full potential, would have been one of the receivers to benefit from Stonum's redshirt. Now, he apparently finds himself in Hoke's doghouse.

“In order to build a championship-caliber culture, you have to be accountable to each other on and off the field,” Hoke said. “There are expectations at the University of Michigan you must live up to.”