2011-09-06

Monday, November 24, 2014

September 6, 2011 - 5:28pm

Senator Stabenow delivers keynote address at Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti luncheon

BY BRIENNE PRUSAK

Senator Debbie Stabenow (D–Mich.) delivered a keynote address at the Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti Regional Chamber Luncheon today about the development of new clean energy technologies — specifically innovations created at the University and in Washtenaw County — according to a Sept. 6 press release.

"When we make things and grow things in Michigan we create jobs in Michigan. That is exactly what is happening with the emerging advanced battery industry and new clean energy jobs that are being created right here in Washtenaw County. We cannot afford to lose the race to build the clean energy technologies of the future to other countries," Stabenow said in the release.

This address comes two months after Stabenow announced the Battery Innovation Act, which aims to increase the state's role in advanced battery manufacturing in hopes of spurring employment, the release said.

With the Department of Energy retooling loan program — also known as Section 136 — Stabenow hopes to manufacture the battery-electric Ford Focus at the Rawsonville plant in Yipsilanti, Mich, according to the release.

Stabenow also discussed the Michigan agriculture, which brings in $71.3 billion in revenue each year and accounts for one in every four jobs in the state.

“Washtenaw County farmers continue to grow and produce high-quality and an abundant variety of crops and vegetables, helping to grow agriculture in Michigan five times faster than the economy as a whole," she said in the statement. "We are poised to continue building on that success, including opportunities in food processing and bio-based manufacturing, so we can create new jobs here in Michigan."