2013-01-23

Saturday, September 20, 2014

January 23, 2013 - 2:47am

In Other Ivory Towers: UC applicants predominately Latino

BY IAN DILLINGHAM

For the first time, Chicano and Latino applicants have made up the largest group of new applicants for the University of California system, The Daily Californian reported Monday.

Despite the system-wide increase in applicants, the largest minority demographic group at four of the universities is still Asian-American. Overall, California public universities saw a high number of out-of-state and international applicants during the recent application cycle, although in-state students still account for about 64 percent of the applicants.

The University of California, Los Angeles saw the highest number of applicants among the nine UC schools, with 80,472 applicants seeking admittance. A spokesperson for the university system expressed pleasure at the high number of applicants, especially in light of the current financial concerns hanging over the system.

Christian-only Fraternity leaves Yale to avoid punishment

The Beta Upsilon Chi fraternity at Yale University has chosen to deregister from the Yale College Dean’s Office rather than change its discriminatory recruitment policies, Yale Daily News reported Friday. The fraternity, which limits its membership to Christian men, was notified in October that it was in violation of Yale Greek Life policies.

BYX is the newest fraternity at Yale. The members made the decision to deregister with advisement from the fraternity’s national leadership. The fraternity is now seeking alternate ways to become actively involved in Yale events, many of which are reserved for registered student groups.

Although other religious fraternities are present at Yale, such as the predominantly Jewish Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity, their membership requirements allow for the admittance of students from all religious practices.

MSU renovates dorms

Michigan State University administration has invested several hundred million dollars into renovation and reconstruction of on-campus housing facilities, The State News reported Monday. Administrators hope their efforts will persuade more students to remain living in university housing instead of moving off-campus.

In particular, the administration appears to be addressing the decline in the number of upperclassmen living in university housing, The State News reported. While there were more than 1,100 seniors living in the dorms in 2009, 922 stayed on campus in 2012.

An MSU housing official told the State News that on-campus housing provides a better learning environment and higher student academic performance. In addition, MSU housing residents become more involved in student groups and other campus activities, she said.

|