2012-04-09

Saturday, April 19, 2014

April 9, 2012 - 1:08am

In Other Ivory Towers: Hate crime at OSU

BY RAYZA GOLDSMITH

Hate crime at OSU

“Long Live Zimmerman” was found spray-painted outside the Frank W. Hale Jr. Black Cultural Center at Ohio State University early Thursday morning, The Lantern reported.

According to The Lantern, officials believe the message refers to George Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch guard in Sanford, Fla. who allegedly killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26.

OSU junior Khris Johnson said in an interview with The Lantern that the message disrespects the African-American community.

“It’s almost like a hate crime for somebody to go and vandalize something, a place that we hold so near and dear as African-Americans,” Johnson said.

Arkansas football coach placed on administrative leave

University of Arkansas football coach Bobby Petrino was placed on administrative leave on Thursday when more details were revealed about his motorcycle crash last Sunday, The Arkansas Traveler reported.

Petrino didn’t initially tell Arkansas Athletic Director Jeff Long that another passenger, a 25-year-old woman who worked for the football team, with whom he had had an “inappropriate relationship,” was on the motorcycle at the time of the crash.

Petrino’s paid administrative leave is indefinite and pending a review of the incident.

CU Boulder bans 4/20 festivities

The University of Colorado Boulder’s administration and student government have taken a number of precautionary measures to prevent students from publicly smoking marijuana in celebration of 4/20, a day where the culture and consumption of marijuana is celebrated, The CU Independent reported.

Last semester, the school’s student government passed a resolution banning an event at Norlin Quad — a central area on campus — that occurs each year on April 20. Administrators, along with the student body vice president, also sent an e-mail to students warning those unaffiliated with the school to stay off campus and outlining the consequences of using marijuana and alcohol — such as tickets, fines and postings on the CU Police Department crime log.

Students are encouraged to instead enjoy a free concert by musician Wyclef Jean at one of the school’s event venues.