2013-01-16

Saturday, October 25, 2014

January 16, 2013 - 1:10am

In Other Ivory Towers: Harvard acquitted of wrongful death charges

BY IAN DILLINGHAM

A judge has dismissed charges of wrongful death against Harvard University and several of its faculty and staff in a drug deal gone bad on its campus, The Harvard Crimson reported Tuesday.

Justin Cosby, a former Harvard student, was shot and killed in the basement of a Harvard building during a drug deal in 2009. His mother filed suit, claiming that Harvard had been negligent in their responsibility for her son’s safety.

Jabrai Copney, who was convicted of Cosby’s murder in 2011, had no connections to Harvard at the time of the shooting, and had been living in the building in violation of university policy. He was sentenced to life in prison.

Union presses Princeton University to allow police officers to carry guns

A union that represents Princeton Department of Public Safety officers has once again recommended that Princeton University allow its officers to carry guns, The Daily Princetonian reported Sunday.

Currently, when Princeton requires an armed response, it uses city police. Though they do not carry guns, the school’s DPS officers wear bulletproof vests and carry batons, pepper spray and handcuffs.

Princeton’s President Shirley Tilghman said she believes Princeton has adequate safety procedures and guns do not belong on campus.

“We have in place a number of measures that will ensure that if there is a risk … police can rapidly have the appropriate response without having our own police officers armed,” Tilghman said.

Yale prof. forced to resign because of relationship with student

John Darnell, a professor in the department of near eastern languages and civilizations at Yale University, was forced to resign his position as department chair and undergo a one-year suspension after “maintaining an intimate relationship with a student under his direct supervision,” the Yale Daily News reported Monday.

In a statement, Darnell claimed he had “failed the University, my colleagues and my students.”

Yale would not comment on the matter, except to confirm that Darnell had resigned as chair of the department.