2012-11-14

Thursday, July 24, 2014

November 14, 2012 - 2:19am

#Michlinks: Oakland University mistakenly reports campus shooting

BY ANDREW SCHULMAN

#Michlinks is The Michigan Daily’s citizen journalism tool that compiles reporting about Ann Arbor and the University of Michigan. If you find an interesting piece about the city of Ann Arbor, college life or the University, send a tweet with the hashtag #Michlinks for a chance to be published on our website.

A technical error during a testing of the emergency alert system at Oakland University resulted in a voicemail message reporting “shots fired” accidentally being sent to students at the school on Tuesday. The university was quick to redact the messages, which also mentioned the campus being on lockdown and the suspect being at large, immediately after sending it. The University tested its emergency alert system in Ann Arbor this month.

Ann Arbor resident Glenn Dickerson received the Knight of the Legion of Honor medal, the highest award the French government can bestow, at a ceremony in Ann Arbor Tuesday night. During his service in World War II, from 1943 to 1946, Dickerson and his company developed explosives that wiped out German defensive lines and cleared the way for Allied tanks, among other accomplishments. Dickerson, who is 89 years old, also graduated from Southeastern High School in Detroit.

The resignation of David Petraeus as the director of the Central Intelligence Agency may have shaken up the search for a new president at Petraeus’s alma mater, Princeton University. Though Petraeus biographer Paula Broadwell told the newspaper for a story in September Petraeus was not interested in the job, sources close to the former CIA director told the paper otherwise.