2012-03-06

Sunday, April 20, 2014

March 6, 2012 - 1:14pm

#Michlinks: March 6, 2012

BY ZACH BERGSON

#Michlinks is The Michigan Daily’s citizen journalism tool that compiles reporting about Ann Arbor and the University of Michigan. If you find an interesting piece about the city of Ann Arbor, college life or the University, send a tweet with the hashtag #Michlinks for a chance to be published on our website. You can also contribute #Michlinks by e-mailing bergson@michigandaily.com with your recommendations.

Here are more details about #Michlinks and the kind of stories we're looking for.

Tech Titans Fund Undocumented Students

Frustrated by Congress’ failure to pass the DREAM Act, wealthy Silicon Valley residents are raising money to help undocumented immigrants go to college, the Wall Street Journal reported yesterday. Laurene Powell Jobs, the widow of Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs, is one of the wealthy donors and has been supporting undocumented students for years, according to the Journal.

"We think Congress' inaction…is devastating for these students and tragic for the country," Powell Jobs told the Journal.

Original tweet : Tech titans are funding efforts to help undocumented youths attend college, find jobs, stay in the country. on.wsj..com/ym0Ly

Colorado Supreme Court affirms that CU students with permits can carry concealed guns on campus

The Colorado Supreme Court struck down the University of Colorado’s campus gun ban in a unanimous decision, the Denver Post reported yesterday. In 2003, the state of Colorado passed The Concealed Carry Act, which permits individuals to carry a concealed weapon anywhere in the state, aside from federal properties and K-12 schools. The University of Colorado, however, continued to ban concealed weapons on their campus despite the law.

"We're very, very happy," James Manley of the Mountain State Legal Foundation, which argued against CU's ban, told The Denver Post. "The position of the Supreme Court was that they (the CU regents) were operating above the law."

Original tweet : Colorado's Supreme Court has ruled against a gun ban on the University of Colorado campus dpo.st.lysjM

|