2011-10-27

Friday, November 28, 2014

October 27, 2011 - 8:54pm

LIVE BLOG: No. 4 Michigan hockey opens CCHA home schedule against Ferris State

BY DAILY HOCKEY BEAT

The Michigan hockey team's eight freshmen have gotten their first glance at the intensity of CCHA play. Last weekend, the Wolverines dropped the opener and edged past Northern Michigan in a shootout in the second game of the set.

Tonight, the nation's hottest team invades Yost Ice Arena. Ferris State hasn't lost yet and has looked capable of making a run for the CCHA title early on. The Bulldogs swept Miami (Ohio) at home last weekend.

For Ferris State, the nod between the pipes goes to senior Taylor Nelson. Nelson has split time with freshman C.J. Motte early on in goal. Both have been stellar for head coach Bob Daniels.

Stay tuned to the live blog for all of the action from Yost, as Michigan tries to deal the Bulldogs the first loss of the season.

FIRST PERIOD SUMMARY

The talents of both starting goaltenders were on display in the first period. With help from their defenses, scoring chances were hard to come by and goals were nonexistent.

Michigan’s power play woes continued when they skated with a man advantage about midway through the period. NoThe Ferris State penalty kill was extremely successful, keeping the Wolverines away from Taylor Nelson.

Following the period, the Bulldogs maintained a narrow 9-7 shots advantage. With poor passing, Michigan failed to gain any early advantage.

The puck sailed back and forth between the two zones for most of the period. Both teams alternated taking quick, unfruitful possessions.

SECOND PERIOD SUMMARY

The period opened up with a quick Michigan scoring chance, but junior forward Chris Brown was whistled for goaltender interference and sent to the penalty box. However, a Ferris State power play unit that has been superb this season was unable to capitalize on the Wolverines’ first penalty of the evening.

Just one minute later, the Bulldogs were whistled for slashing and it was Michigan’s turn to skate a man up. Coach Red Berenson discussed at length crucial the special teams would be, and the Wolverines answered the call at this juncture. With 15 minutes to play in the period, freshman forward Phil Di Giuseppe received a pass from David Wohlberg that caught Nelson completely off-guard. Di Giuseppe finished easily for the power play tally.

Then, it was freshman center Travis Lynch who tallied his third goal of the season. Sophomore defender Mac Bennett and junior defender Lee Moffie assisted Lynch as the Wolverines went up 2-0.

After a Ferris State penalty, Michigan resumed its impressive power play in the second period. Senior forward David Wohlberg took care of the puck on a wrister than rattled the cage. The goal was disputed and confirmed and the score stood 3-0 Michigan.

After a Michigan penalty, its penalty kill unit was nowhere near as successful. As the penalty was about to expire, Ferris State beat Hunwick with three minutes remaining in the period. Entering the second intermission, the Wolverines maintained its 3-1 lead.

THIRD PERIOD SUMMARY

Michigan likely closed the book on any chances of a Ferris State comeback eight minutes into the final period when sophomore forward Derek DeBlois scored his first goal of the season. Guptill and Sparks assisted on the tally.

DeBlois emerged from a crowd of Wolverines around the net to finally poke it in.

But with seven minutes remaining in the period, the Bulldogs pulled within two scores with senior center Jodie Johnston’s power play goal. Ferris State’s phenomenal play with an advantage this season continued, but it would prove to be too little, too late.

Di Giuseppe scored on an empty net to close out the scoring. The Wolverines defeated the previously undefeated Bulldogs, 5-2.