2012-01-07

Sunday, October 26, 2014

January 7, 2012 - 10:55pm

LIVE BLOG: Michigan falls short of sweep of LSSU

BY DAILY HOCKEY BEAT

We’re LIVE from Yost Ice Arena where the No. 16 Michigan hockey team will be looking for its first sweep since October.

The Wolverines pulled out a 4-2 victory over the Lakers last night. Sophomore defenseman Jon Merrill tallied his first point of the season, after having been suspended in October.

Sophomore goalie Adam Janecyk also saw significant playing time in the third period. Starter Shawn Hunwick told the trainer he was “not feeling well” after the second stanza and sat out the remainder of the game. The fifth-year senior’s ailments remain unclear, and he will consequently sit out of Saturday's game.

The Daily Hockey Beat will be here with all the action live from Yost.

FIRST PERIOD SUMMARY

Janecyk got tested early on in the stanza when junior forward Chris Brown took a penalty. He came out unscathed, but it wasn’t always a pretty sight — the Wolverines were riding on luck more than anything else as the Lakers simply missed the net.

Freshman forward Alex Guptill had a good look at the goal as he rode a wave of momentum — literally. Guptill slammed into the net, and unhinged it.

Senior forward David Wohlberg took two penalties after a scrum broke out around Laker goalie Kevin Kalpalka.

Michigan leads Lake Superior State in shots on goal 14-13.

SECOND PERIOD SUMMARY

The second period saved all its action to the second half. The Lakers took a slashing penalty early on and the Wolverines didn’t get any shots on goal. Michigan’s power play unit saw action again as soon as the first penalty was over. The Wolverines at least got some shots that time, but still couldn’t capitalize.

Wohlberg gave Michigan its first goal of the night with six minutes remaining in the stanza. His initially shot was blocked by Kalpalka, but deflected off a Laker skate and into the goal.

The Lakers shortly tied it up, but Guptill gave Michigan the lead again with 1:40 left. His backhand sailed over Kalpalka’s shoulder. But before his goal was even announced, Guptill was injured and laid face down on the ice. A trainer attended to him, and sat on the bench for the rest of the frame.

Lake Superior State took a penalty with 00.6 seconds left, and Michigan will start the third period a man up. Michigan leads 28-19 on shot on goal.

THIRD PERIOD SUMMARY

The Lakers took momentum of the period when they knotted up the game 3 minutes in. A rebound slid right to the stick of Laker Buddy Robinson and into the net.

Sophomore forward Luke Moffatt took a penalty with just under 5 minutes in the game. The Lakers did a good job keeping in their attack zone for the two minutes, but some big saves by Janecyk prevented them from putting another goal on the board.

But neither team played with much sense of urgency as the period wound down, and the game was sent into overtime.

OVERTIME

Michigan did not want a shootout, and dominated possession of the puck at the beginning of overtime. Junior forward A.J. Treais had a strong look at a wide open net, but couldn't finish.

SHOOTOUT

Moffatt shot first for the Wolverines, and scored. Wohlberg was not able to score and Treais lost control of the puck as he took towards the goal. Janecyk made two saves.

Derek DeBlois was the fourth shooter for the Wolverines, missed his shot and slammed into the net. Janecyk saved the fourth goal.

The Lakers eventually scored, and broke their 14 games loss streak to the Wolverines.

|