2011-10-28

Thursday, August 28, 2014

October 29, 2011 - 8:17am

LIVE BLOG RECAP: Michigan hockey sweeps Ferris State

BY DAILY HOCKEY BEAT

The Wolverines' offense exploded Thursday night in a 5-2 rout of No. 6 Ferris State.

Following the game, Michigan coach Red Berenson thought that the Bulldogs might put their freshman netminder, C.J. Motte, between the pipes. Berenson said that no matter who was in goal, the Wolverines' gameplan would stay the same.

Ferris State has indeed decided to make the switch.. Whether No. 4 Michigan can have similar success remains to be seen.

Follow the Daily hockey beat's live blog from Yost Ice Arena for all of the action.

FIRST PERIOD SUMMARY

Entering the game with a chip on their shoulders, Ferris State looked to score first to get off to a good start. But freshman forward Alex Guptill put gave Michigan its first lead of the night with assists from Luke Moffatt and Derek DeBlois.

Ferris State kept possession of the puck in the second half of the period, and goalie Shawn Hunwick saw lots of action towards his end, especially in the last few minutes of the period. But the Bulldogs’ best look of the night hit the pipes. Ferris State had nine shots on goal, and the Wolverines trailed them by one.

Michigan took 4 penalties during the first period, all in the last ten minutes but managed to kill them all. A.J. Treais had an opportunity to give the Wolverines a two-goal lead with eight seconds left in the period but could not capitalize on a breakaway opportunity.

SECOND PERIOD SUMMARY

Once again, it was the Wolverines who scored first, and once again a goal came from a freshman — Travis Lynch six minutes into the period.

A.J Treais took a cue from the freshmen and decided to follow suit with a goal of his own just three minutes later off of a deflection from Phil Di Giuseppe

Bu Di Giuseppe’s assists weren’t over for the period — he and Treais gave Chris Brown the opportunity to score with six minutes left in the period to give the Wolverines a 4-0 lead.

Just like in the first period, Michigan took more penalties than the Bulldogs, and spent 8 minutes in the penalty box. But also just like the first period, Michigan successfully killed them. Ferris State also took 5 penalties during the period but the Wolverines were unable to score on the power play.

Hunwick did not see much action down his end — the Bulldogs only had six shots on goal in the period, as opposed to the fifteen that Michigan had.

THIRD PERIOD SUMMARY

Michigan went to the penalty box early in the period when Mike Chiasson took five minutes for facemasking. However, Michigan only received one other penalty, and managed killed both of them.

Ferris State kept possession for much of the period as it tried to overcome its four game deficit. The Bulldogs kept the puck in its attack zone for much of the period, however they were unable to get any good looks on goal, and Hunwick was able to ensure the Michigan shutout.