NA

Saturday, August 30, 2014

November 27, 2011 - 5:57pm

It's the most wonderful time of the year, because of Starbucks peppermint mochas

BY LUCY PERKINS

Most of us don’t have time to go home and morph into the next Barefoot Contessa every time we get hungry. And so, we are drawn like ants to a breadcrumb, to the nearest campus eateries. Sometimes whatever we order is mediocre, subpar, even unappetizingly dismal.

Being in this situation can suck, because food is one of my favorite forms of creative expression.

And when I say food, I mean eating, not cooking. I’m sure it’s a nice creative outlet for whoever belabors for hours over a steaming pan of something intricately exquisite and delicious, but I enjoy the other end of the production line much more – eating, drinking and consuming whatever tasty morsels the chef has dished up.

From the consumer’s point of view, how one goes about eating or drinking the end result is an art too. I present you with the peppermint mocha, courtesy of Starbucks. Not too hot and not too cold, this holiday gem is unquestionably one of my favorite works of edible art in December (and November).

However, the purpose of the peppermint mocha is not to be chugged in all-nighter desperation. It is meant to be sipped and enjoyed. The whipped cream and chocolate curls do artistically adorn the holiday beverage, thus the only way to indulge in this masterpiece is slowly. It is the closest anyone will ever get to pouring the holidays into a 16 oz. cup.

Note: I am not being paid to endorse Starbucks. I genuinely love coffee, specifically this drink. And I mean, it’s not like they really need any endorsements.