2013-01-17

Thursday, November 20, 2014

January 16, 2013 - 2:33am

THE INSTITUTION: CSG holds first meeting of semester

BY AMRUTHA SIVAKUMAR

Following a semester when its longest meeting stretched past three-and-a-half hours, the Central Student Government assembly took only 29 minutes to finish up the first meeting of the semester.

As there were neither guest speakers nor executive communications on the agenda for Tuesday night, CSG President Manish Parikh jumped straight into his executive communications.

“In terms of things coming up, the budget is being drafted,” Parikh affirmed. “The chair of the finance committee, Matt Fernandez, will play an integral role.”

CSG Vice President Omar Hashwi pointed out that the Shapiro Undergraduate Library’s very own Bert’s Café is now officially open for business 24 hours a day, four days a week. On the four busiest days of the week — Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays — Bert’s will be open all night to service the student population.

“There is no guarantee that this 24-hour café will remain open unless we show that there are a lot of students eating there,” Hashwi said. “If you are hungry late at night, go to the UGLi.”

The meeting then moved along to elections. LSA Rep. Bronwyn Halton took the place of LSA Rep. Molly Rosen as the vice speaker of the assembly.

Following that, Rackham Rep. Joseph Suh was elected chair of the ethics committee. Suh was not present and sent Proppe his speech. Proppe read it aloud to the assembly, after Suh defeated LSA Rep. Brian Koziara.

Follow Amrutha on Twitter at @xamrutha.

This blog post is the first article on our new Student Leadership blog, The Institution. Follow The Institution on Twitter at @TMDinstitution.

|