2011-06-23

Sunday, October 26, 2014

July 28, 2011 - 6:45pm

Gibson, Serville drafted in 2011 NHL Draft

BY STEPHEN J. NESBITT

John Gibson, an incoming freshman goaltender for the Michigan hockey team, heard his name called by the Anaheim Ducks as the 39th-overall selection of the 2011 NHL Draft in St. Paul, Minn. on Saturday.

Gibson, a Pittsburgh native, comes out of two years at the U.S. National Development Team camp based in Ann Arbor. The 6-foot-3 goaltender was rated the top goalie in this year's draft, and was the second picked, one selection behind Magnus Hellberg.

In two years with the U.S. program, based out of the Ann Arbor Ice Cube, Gibson boasted a 16-13-3 record, but in 2010-11 he showed marked improvement with a 2.38 goals-against average and .926 save percentage.

"In addition to having size, Gibson displays a high level of athleticism and flexibility," U.S. national team goaltending coach Joe Exter told Sporting News. "Outside of the crease, he plays the puck effectively. In addition to this, he displays a calm demeanor between the pipes."

Gibson spearheaded Team USA's efforts this year to win the 2011 International Ice Hockey Federation World Under-18 Championship, with a 6-0 record, a 2.34 goals-against average and .926 save percentage.

Another incoming freshman, defenseman Brennan Serville, was drafted in the third round — 78th overall — by the Winnipeg Jets.

Serville spent the past two seasons with the Stouffville Spirit, where he scored six goals and tallied 39 assists in 79 games. Michigan coach Red Berenson recently said he expects Serville to crack the top six members of the defensive corps.

NHL.com did a feature video on the goaltender during the month prior to the 2011 NHL Draft:

|