2013-02-05

Monday, September 1, 2014

February 5, 2013 - 3:38pm

Block 'M' Blog: Who's Hot, Who's Not

BY STEVEN BRAID

Let’s get down to business for the second installment of “Hot or Not.”

Who’s Hot: Michigan hockey against little brother

Don’t look now, but the hockey team is streaking. After taking two games against the Spartans this past weekend for their first sweep of the season, the Wolverines are on their first winning streak since the first week of the season. They have won their last three games against Michigan State and are 4-1 against the Spartans on the season.

Who’s Not: Women’s basketball, especially against little brother

After starting the season 15-2 — the best start in program history — the women’s basketball team is sinking. The Wolverines are 1-4 in their last five games, and have dropped three straight, including a 15-point loss to Michigan State on Monday. They have now lost 12 straight to the Spartans, a streak that has spanned five years.

Who’s Hot: Men’s swimming in dual meets

Though the No. 1 Michigan men’s swimming and diving team has been fantastic in multi-university events, the Wolverines have been otherworldly in dual meets this season. After beating No. 10 Ohio State this past weekend by 176 points, they have started the year off with seven consecutive victories in dual meets.

Who’s Not: Men’s wrestling against ranked teams

With its loss against No. 18 Purdue on Sunday, the Michigan men’s wrestling team has now lost four of its last five matches against ranked opponents. The Wolverines will need to improve that mark if they want to make a serious postseason run.

|