2013-02-25

Monday, September 22, 2014

February 25, 2013 - 4:51pm

Some Michigan hockey playoff scenarios

BY MATT SLOVIN

With the CCHA regular season winding down this weekend, the Michigan hockey team finds itself behind the 8-ball to earn a home first-round series. However, it’s still a possibility, as is a trip to Alaska that coach Red Berenson has said his team would rather avoid. And though the Wolverines’ sweep of Ohio State made it an improbability, Michigan could still finish last place in the CCHA for the first time in school history in the league’s final season.

Here are a few of these scenarios to keep track of as the Wolverines host Ferris State this weekend. These are not exhaustive:

Michigan would host a first-round playoff series with a sweep over Ferris State AND Northern Michigan beating Lake Superior State at least once OR a Michigan sweep over Ferris State AND a Lake Superior State sweep of Northern Michigan AND no Bowling Green wins over Notre Dame.

Michigan would also host a first-round playoff series with a split with Ferris State AND one Northern Michigan win over Lake Superior State AND a Northern Michigan win over Lake Superior State in a shootout.

Michigan would travel to Northern Michigan if Ferris State sweeps Michigan AND Northern Michigan sweeps Lake Superior State AND Notre Dame sweeps Bowling Green AND Michigan State doesn’t sweep Western Michigan.

Michigan would finish last in the CCHA and travel to Alaska if it’s swept by Ferris State AND Michigan State sweeps Western Michigan AND Northern Michigan beats Lake Superior State at least once.

Michigan would travel to Alaska if Bowling Green sweeps Notre Dame AND Michigan is swept by Ferris State AND Michigan State sweeps Western Michigan.

Michigan would also travel to Alaska if Bowling Green sweeps Notre Dame AND Northern Michigan beats Lake Superior State at least once AND Michigan is swept by Ferris State AND Michigan State doesn’t sweep Western Michigan.

|