2013-05-21

Saturday, April 19, 2014

May 21, 2013 - 8:11pm

Michigan hockey 2013-2014 schedule released

BY GREG GARNO

The Michigan hockey team's first year in the newly formed Big Ten Conference may be highlighted by its non-conference schedule.

The Wolverines will host perennial powerhouse Boston College in their first regular-season game of the year on Oct. 10 before travelling to Rochester, N.Y. two days later to play RIT. Michigan will also visit New Hampshire the following weekend before it returns home to host Boston University and Massachusetts-Lowell.

This year's Great Lakes Invitational in December will include the Wolverines, Michigan State, Western Michigan and Michigan Tech, and is scheduled to take place in Comerica Park, home of Major League Baseball's Detroit Tigers. Last year's event was moved across the Motor City from Comerica Park to Joe Louis Arena after the National Hockey League cancelled the Winter Classic as a result of a labor dispute.

Michigan will start Big Ten play on Nov. 29 when its hosts Ohio State. The Wolverines will play two home-and-home series with the Buckeyes this year.

After its senior night was held during spring break in 2012, Michigan will conclude the regular season on March 15 against Minnesota, with students back in school.

The Wolverines will play on the road twice and at home twice against each Big Ten school — including their first-ever trip to State College, Pa., where they will play Penn State. The Big Ten season will conclude with the Big Ten Championships in Minneapolis, Minn. — also the site of the NCAA West Regional.

Michigan looks to return to the NCAA Tournament after its streak of 22 consecutive appearances was broken with a loss in the CCHA championship on March 24.

This year's Frozen Four will take place in Philadelphia.

The full schedule for the 2013-2014 season can be found on mgoblue.com

|