2013-01-28

Saturday, October 25, 2014

January 27, 2013 - 8:36pm

Block ‘M’ Blog: Michigan hockey Alumni of the Week

BY MICHAEL LAURILA

The Michigan Hockey Alumni blog is back, and we’ll be looking at a couple of past hockey players who had notable performances on or off the ice this week.

First up, 2005 Graduate David Moss, who followed his season-opening goal two weeks ago with another impressive week. The seven-year veteran, who’s in his first season with the Coyotes after spending his entire career playing for the Flames, has made an immediate impact. This past week, Moss tallied two assists — one during the Coyotes’ 5-1 victory on Wednesday, and one during their 5-3 loss to the L.A. Kings a day later. Despite Phoenix’s disappointing 1-4 start, Moss’s production has been a welcome addition to the Coyotes roster.

Next up is former Dallas Stars goalie and 97’ Michigan graduate, Marty Turco. After coming out of retirement last season for a short period, it looks like the man who Canadian hockey analyst Don Cherry called “the smartest goalie in the NHL” during his prime has finally hung up the blocker. But he isn’t entirely leaving hockey, or even Dallas for that matter. Two weeks ago, it was announced that Turco would be an analyst on the Stars’ broadcast. Having previously done some broadcast work for the NHL Network, Turco appears to be a promising young TV personality for Dallas.

|