2013-07-18

Friday, December 19, 2014

July 17, 2013 - 1:53pm

Beilein receives contract extension through 2018-19 season

BY DANIEL FELDMAN

Todd Needle/Daily

After leading the Michigan men’s basketball team to the national championship game for the first time since 1993, Michigan Athletic Director Dave Brandon announced on Wednesday a contract extension for coach John Beilein through the 2018-2019 season.

Beilein led the Wolverines to 31 wins last season, tying the program record, and bringing his all-time winning percentage to .599 (673-403). He also produced two first-round picks in this year’s NBA draft.

"I am very excited to have this opportunity to coach at the University of Michigan for at least five more years," said Beilein. "I am grateful that President Coleman and Dave Brandon are pleased with the direction of our program and have extended this offer of agreement. My staff and I will continue to work every day with our student-athletes to ensure they grow from this incredible educational opportunity.

“At the same time, competing for Big Ten championship will be the goal each and every year.”

Beilein began in 2007, replacing former coach Tommy Amaker, after he led West Virginia to the NIT tournament. The extension is his second since the 2010-11 season when the Wolverines made it to their first NCAA Tournament since 1998.

Coming off a season that came within a put-back of consecutive Big Ten regular season titles, Michigan will return a youth-filled roster led by sophomore forwards Glenn Robinson III and Mitch McGary. With only one senior on the team in forward Jordan Morgan, it will be a responsibility once again for Beilein to mold and shape the young squad.

The Wolverines maintained a top-10 ranking in the Associated Press poll for the entire 2012-13 season - highlighted by holding the No. 1 ranking on Jan. 28 – expectations will be high for Michigan next season and going forward.

"John is a tremendous ambassador of the University of Michigan and one of the most highly respected coaches in the country," said Brandon. "He recruits outstanding young men to represent the men's basketball program and develops them as players, students and future leaders. John has built a program that will compete for Big Ten championships on a regular basis and make exciting NCAA Tournament runs.”

“We look forward to John, Kathleen and the entire Beilein family representing the University of Michigan for the foreseeable future."