2013-04-23

Thursday, September 18, 2014

April 24, 2013 - 6:24pm

Brady Hoke promises donuts to early arrivers at football games

BY ZACH HELFAND

As the debate over the Michigan football team’s new student ticket policy rages on, Michigan coach Brady Hoke has proposed an additional policy. Show up early for noon kickoffs, and get a donut.

Hoke made the comment at the appreciation lunch for the Athletic Department’s H.A.I.L. program, according to the twitter account of Laura Raines, an athletic media relations intern:

The proposal is a distinctive Hoke response to the growing problem of no-shows at football games. (Hoke has also remarked that he doesn’t use Twitter because, “I don't need everyone to know when I'm at McDonalds eating a Big Mac.”)

Jordan Maleh, the Athletic Department’s director of digital marketing, tweeted Tuesday that Michigan’s student season ticket holders averaged a 75-percent show rate in 2012, including 3,405 no-shows against Michigan State. Hunter Lochmann, the department’s the chief marketing officer, also tweeted Tuesday that the average show rate at kickoff was just 50 percent.

Raines and one other in attendance characterized the comment as a serious proposal. The Daily has reached out to the Athletic Department for official comment. We’ll provide updates, as necessary.

OTHER NOTES: The H.A.I.L. app will return next year. … Angela Thick, assistant director of marketing, said at the luncheon that the H.A.I.L. staff will explore changes for the 2013-14 school year, including rolling time check-in, points for away games and combating fake check-ins.

UPDATE: Associate Athletic Director Dave Ablauf said Wednesday that “nothing has been determined in terms of quantity, etc.” but he added that Hoke “has always been a proponent of students arriving early, and he wants to do something to incentivize the group.”

Daily Sports Writer Mark Edlund contributed reporting