2014-03-14

Monday, September 22, 2014

March 14, 2014 - 11:14pm

Big K.R.I.T. releases new tracks for the "Week of K.R.I.T."

BY LEJLA BAJGORIC

Big K.R.I.T.

Those of us hip to Big K.R.I.T. enjoyed our spring break last week a bit more than others. Young Krizzle released a track a day, with features ranging from Rick Ross to Smoke DZA, for his “Week of K.R.I.T.” campaign.

You can catch all the songs on his SoundCloud, but after careful consideration, I’ve decided to highlight “Conscious Effort,” my favorite by far. It’s a freestyle over Hi-Tek’s soulful “Letter To The King,” a perfect compliment to the usual profound lyrics we hear from K.R.I.T., a king (remembered in time) himself. But Krizzle is flexing on this one: “Big frontyard, big backyard, have ‘em send smoke signals to my neighbors/ Got a driveway around my way, you a quarterback throwing papers.” He has every right to boast. After all, his self-produced debut, Live from the Underground, exceeded album sale expectations. He has solidified a slot for himself in the game as a Dirty South representative, with reliably righteous rhymes that never cross the periphery into preachy proclamations.

And now, with his upcoming sophomore release, Cadillactica, he’s planning on telling the story behind the Caddy that crash-landed on Earth — the artwork on the cover of Live from the Underground. In an XXL interview, Krizzle revealed the idea behind Cadillactica, an attempt to take fans “in reverse [to] where [that] Cadillac comes from. It’s creating this planet called Cadillactica where the soul and the funk comes from” that characterizes Krizzle’s vibe. Our first peak of the planet was released a few days ago in the form of a 35 second black-and-white trailer, featuring new sounds and shots of K.R.I.T. and his Cadillac. What more can we ask for?

You can listen to the whole album here.