NA

Monday, September 1, 2014

April 16, 2012 - 11:16am

Dubstep DJ Excision brought 100,000 watts of bass to the Fillmore

BY JULIAN AIDAN

Rottun

While the Fillmore’s 87-year-old façade, elegant domed ceiling and generally classy aesthetics — ranging from chandeliers to larger-than-life suits of armor equipped with halberds — don’t necessarily mesh with everyone’s idea of an ideal venue in which to rage (or rave, if you’re more inclined), hundreds of neon-clad dubstep fans rolled in Saturday night for five hours of bass-heavy madness and an insane set from Excision that rattled more than just minds.

With a crowd roughly split between scantily-clad high-schoolers decked out in bracelets and lights and greasy older twenty-somethings wearing shades of black, the few reasonably normal-looking college students stood out like a sore thumb. With the lights turned down and two-thirds of the stage hidden under black sheets, the crowd’s attention turned to whoever was hitting Play on their MacBooks.

Following an average set from Liquid Stranger full of subpar drops that managed to barely tide the crowd over, Lucky Date and his out-of-place brand of House sated those already exploring the stratosphere while more sober participants’ anticipation grew. And then it happened. Lucky Date played his last song and the stage went dark and completely quiet, save for the sound of curtains falling and a sound system boasting an incredible 100,000 watts of bass powering up.

If there was a better way to explain what happened next other than by comparing it to standing directly behind a jet plane taking off while being privy to a light show that would make Pink Floyd blush, I’d say it — but there isn’t. Excision’s opener, “Crowd Control,” went on and did everything but keep the crowd under control. The smoke-laden air lit up from the dozens of multicolored beams, two giant X-shaped screens exploded into existence, and the DJ’s angular and imposing stage was host to what appeared to be the inner machinations of the mind of a cyborg.

Earplugs did nothing to prevent the air from immediately heating up ten degrees or keeping every hair on every inch of every body standing on end. Girls with wrists full of Kandi bracelets boasting the rave culture mantra “Peace Love Unity Respect” felt their forearms turn into glorified maracas with every wobble, and Excision managed to keep the entire crowd enthralled during the entirety of his unreasonably intense set. Parents dove off the stage, glasses were lost, drinks were spilled, and an amazingly good time was had by all.

Excision brought 100,000 watts of complete bass destruction to Detroit’s Fillmore by annihilating his fans’ ears with what can best be described (by a good friend of mine) as the “Decepticons singing karaoke to a monster movie soundtrack,” and it was beyond awesome.