2012-11-06

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

November 6, 2012 - 4:11pm

Dingell, Driskell visit polls in last-minute campaigning

BY TUI RADEMAKER

Paul Sherman/Daily

In a final push to pull votes, U.S. Rep. John Dingell (D-Mich.) and Democratic state representative candidate Gretchen Driskell made their final rounds at several area polling places, holding signs and greeting voters.

At the Washtenaw Intermediate School District building just outside of Ann Arbor, both Dingell and Driskell expressed excitement and confidence about the direction of tonight’s election for the Democrats.

Driskell said ground campaigning has been a crucial tactic and is important for all candidates, especially those not at the top of the ticket.

“I think the (big) challenge is keeping the momentum of educating our constituents,” Driskell said.

Education is a top priority on Driskell’s platform, which she said also emphasizes emphasis on workers’ and women's rights. She said that there’s a tremendous stake in tonight’s results, however she said she was very confident that Obama will ultimately win, albeit by a small margin.

“I think there’s a lot of excitement….It’s a really important election — I think it’s as important as the (the 2008 election) because the momentum of the direction we’re moving in could shift dramatically if this election doesn’t go… the Democratic way,” Driskell said.

Dingell said he was especially excited to see so many Democrats coming to the polls. He joked that that he wished all the best for Republicans in everything but elections.

Dingell added that he’s been extremely excited to see so many get out the vote efforts continuing into Election Day, noting that the Democrats had 160 vans of volunteers around the state in a last minute effort.

|