2012-09-26

Thursday, April 24, 2014

September 26, 2012 - 11:24am

CSG approves positions, passes resolution on Google applications

BY GIACOMO BOLOGNA

Executive positions that had been provisionally confirmed at last week's Central Student Government meeting were confirmed fully Tuesday night, but the executive position of chief programming officer has yet to be filled.

The assembly also confirmed the chairs of 11 CSG commissions, two of which were occupied by former assembly members. In an assembly overwhelmingly comprised of first-term members, the confirmations reinstated LSA sophomore Brian Palmer and Public Policy graduate student Zeid El-Kilani, the former chair of the rules committee.

Lastly, the assembly unanimously passed a resolution calling for changes to Google applications that the University has recently adopted. According to the resolution, the Google applications are not fully accessible to students, particularly those with visual disabilities.

For the second consecutive week, two members of the Graduate Employees’ Organization, which has already called for accessibility improvements, came to speak to the group on the issue.

GEO president Katie Frank GEO has met with members of the University administration and that Google has announced it is looking to make its applications more accessible since discussion began last week.

Still, Frank stressed that the University should push back the forced migration date of Oct. 1 to prevent a system that is allegedly unfair from being implemented.