2012-11-21

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

November 21, 2012 - 12:28am

Campus Club: Polish Club

BY STEPHANIE DILWORTH

Through a variety of social and cultural events, the University’s Polish Club — known in Polish as Klub Polski — seeks to promote Polish culture and foster a close-knit community for its members.

Throughout the year, the organization hosts a variety of events such as mixers and bonfires, which are open to all students. Though many of the club’s roughly 50 members are of Polish descent, the club is not limited to Poles.

LSA senior Misia Szewczyk, the Polish Club social chair, said her favorite part of the Polish Club is its close-knit community and ties to Polish culture. Members of the Polish club frequently gather at houses or residence halls to cook traditional Polish dishes such as Pierogi and Golapki.

“I like the sense of community and the feeling of home away from home,” Szewczyk said. “A lot of people in this club grew up with a Polish influence in their household and the club fosters that. When you’re feeling stressed out, it’s nice to have food or songs that reminds you of home.”

The group also participates in an annual soccer tournament on campus called EuroCup, which serves as an opportunity for members of other European clubs on campus to compete. This year, competitors included members of the Russian Club, the German Club, the Turkish Student Association and the Romanian Club.

Special events include Andrzejki, an event to commemorate St. Andrews Day, and Pisanki, an Easter egg decorating event. The club’s most popular event, the Wolverine Ball, is open to the entire Ann Arbor community and features a silent auction that helps raise money for a Polish-affiliated charity.

Polish Club members also assist the Polish American Congress in organizing the annual Ann Arbor Polish Film festival. The event helps promote notable Polish film directors and Polish culture through a number of films.

The Polish Club also hosts speakers from Poland who are invited annually by the Center for Russian and Eastern European studies to come speak at the University. The speakers discuss current international topics like the European debt crisis.

|