2011-09-21

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

September 21, 2011 - 10:59pm

Blogging Blue: Support the troops, support San Francisco

BY WILL BUTLER

Welcome to America, home of the free and land of the “San Francisco” Army. Yes, you may not have realized it, but yesterday not only marked the official repeal of the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, but also the permanent creation of the world’s most flamboyant military. After Tuesday, the military and the Pentagon have dropped the army fatigues and camo, and gone for a more fashionable look. M16’s? No way, how about a man purse instead. “Anchors Away?” Not anymore, now the Navy will be setting sail with Lady Gaga being played mandatorily from stern to bow.

Don’t believe me? Just ask Elaine Donnelly, President of the Center for Military Readiness, a fake interest group — run out of her suburban Detroit home —that pretends to advocate for military interests and priorities by suppressing and demeaning a gay or female soldier’s right to serve in combat. According to her, without a “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy, the entire United States military will become one giant gay stereotype. And she’s right, quite obviously openly gay soldiers in the military are just too distracting and will cause a disaster for our military readiness and effectiveness.

Cue John Stossel and “Give me a break.” In case you didn’t get the joke, I fully support the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and I don’t place or force any stereotypes on the homosexual community. I find people like Elaine Donnelly sickening and find their pseudo-patriotism phony and revolting. Any other arguments against the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” stating that our military is not ready is only a sham for prejudice and bigotry. I support not only our “San Francisco” military, but also any other service member who comes from anywhere else. Like a true patriot, and unlike Elaine Donnelly, I support our brave troops regardless of any race, color, creed or sexuality.