2012-05-23

Friday, October 31, 2014

May 22, 2012 - 10:08pm

Baseball's Biondi and Crank named to All-Big Ten teams

BY LIZ NAGLE

On Tuesday, two Michigan baseball players were named to All-Big Ten teams — junior center-fielder Patrick Biondi and senior designated hitter Coley Crank.

Biondi was honored for the second-straight year on the All-Big Ten second team. He led the Wolverines with a .408 on-base percentage, 67 hits and 44 runs scored. This year’s co-captain notched 32 stolen bases, leading the conference, but he remains just two shy of tying Eric Rose (2004-07) at 90. Biondi recorded 18 multi-hit games this season, including a near perfect 4-for-5 against Indiana Purdue Fort Wayne with a pair of runs, two RBIs and a walk.

Crank was place on the All-Big Ten third team after a season of offensive work at the plate. He tied for fifth in the conference with 45 RBIs this season and topped the Big Ten with 12 home runs, adding to his career 35 tallies that rank him third on Michigan’s all-time list. Though the Pinole, Calif. native also played at catcher, it was his power swing that helped him climb to 153 RBIs and 43 doubles over the last four years.

Fifth year senior right-hander Kolby Wood earned Michigan’s Sportsmanship Award for his contributions off the field. Though he missed most of his last two seasons, Wood remained a part of the team with strong moral support and acts of good citizenship.

|