2012-03-06

Saturday, October 25, 2014

April 5, 2012 - 11:18pm

Beilein comments on Burke situation, calls reports 'premature'

BY BEN ESTES

Erin Kirkland/Daily

After a Wednesday full of speculation about the NBA Draft status of freshman point guard Trey Burke, Michigan basketball coach John Beilein took the time on Thursday to address the issue in his “Beilein Weekly” section of the Athletic Department’s website.

In the short statement on MGoBlue.com — Beilein’s first since an entry on March 21 which focused on the Wolverines’ NCAA Tournament loss to Ohio — the coach refuted reports that Burke had decided to enter the NBA draft, calling them “premature.”

“My coaching staff and I have met with Trey and his parents several times over the past two weeks,” Beilein said. “Collectively, we have gathered and shared with each of them some necessary information that we feel will help Trey make the most informed decision for his future.”

No news had emerged regarding Burke’s decision for quite a while until Wednesday. That’s when the situation became something of a frenzy.

CBSSports.com, citing anonymous sources, was the first to report that Burke had decided he would enter the draft on Wednesday afternoon, and the Detroit Free Press soon followed with a similar report, also citing an anonymous source.

Soon after, Trey’s father, Benji Burke, tweeted that his son had not declared for the NBA, and the tweet neither confirmed nor refuted the notion that he was still planning to do so.

By Wednesday night, the Free Press was instead reporting that Burke, in the face of the media attention and speculation of that day, was reconsidering his decision and was still weighing his options.

To further muddle the situation, just after midnight on Thursday morning, the Daily obtained a photo of Burke’s near-empty dorm room, full of packed-up clothing and belongings.

But, according to Beilein, no decision has been made and Burke is still taking classes and preparing for final exams, which are about two weeks away.

Burke has until April 29 to declare for the NBA Draft, but the last date to pull out of the draft if one has declared is April 10 — that’s essentially serving as Burke’s deadline.

“The Burke family has been very receptive to our assistance and appreciates that we have encouraged Trey to take his time and look at all of his options between now and the April 10 deadline,” Beilein said.