2012-05-18

Saturday, December 20, 2014

May 17, 2012 - 6:50pm

Barnes Arico hires assistants to complete coaching staff

BY COLLEEN THOMAS

On Thursday, Michigan women's basketball head coach Kim Barnes Arico announced the hiring of three assistant coaches and a new director of basketball operations.

Joy McCorvey, Melanie Moore and Chester Nichols join Barnes Arico on staff, while Amy Mulligan will be the new director of basketball operations.

McCorvey is the lone member of Barnes Arico’s staff from St. John’s, where Barnes Arico spent the last 10 seasons as head coach. McCorvey played for the Red Storm from 2006-10 before becoming an assistant coach to Barnes Arico last season. She worked with the post players and helped the Red Storm to a 24-10 record in the Big East.

Moore has spent the last five years as an assistant at Princeton (2007-12), working with post players and was the program’s recruiting coordinator. She helped guide the Tigers to their first-ever national ranking last season and earned the highest seed — a nine seed — by an Ivy League school in the 2012 NCAA Tournament.

Nichols arrives in Ann Arbor after spending the past two years at Kansas as its recruiting coordinator in addition to his work with the perimeter players. Nichols also spent time at Central Florida (2009-10) and six years at West Virginia.

Mulligan joins the Wolverine basketball staff after spending time as an assistant athletic media relations director at multiple programs. Most recently, Mulligan spent the past five years at Virginia in addition to two years at St. John’s, where she worked with Barnes Arico.

"The staff is comprised of a bunch of winners and that's really what they know, that's really what they're going to bring to our program here," Barnes Arico said in a statement. "I think we have a great blend of individuals; they are a tremendous mix with strengths that will help take our program to the next level. I'm really enthused about having them on board and I'm looking forward to getting started."

Barnes Arico was recently hired as the fifth head coach in women’s basketball program history on April 20, replacing Kevin Borseth, who left for his old position at Wisconsin-Green Bay.

|