2011-07-22

Saturday, October 25, 2014

July 28, 2011 - 6:44pm

Athletic Department announces Big House available to rent for special events

BY BETHANY BIRON

Soon you may see more than just players adorned in helmets and shoulder pads strutting down the 50-yard line at the Big House, but also women donned in wedding dresses.

The University of Michigan Athletic Department announced Thursday they will now allow the public to host events at Michigan Stadium, for occasions like weddings, corporate meetings and photo shoots. According to an article in the Detroit Free Press, the cost to hold a one-hour wedding ceremony will be approximately $6,000.

Athletic Director Dave Ablauf wrote in Thursday’s press release that the University hopes to extend the experience students hold during their schooling at Michigan into life after college.

“From weddings, meetings, luncheons, showers and banquet receptions, your next event will give a lasting impression to all guests with the history and tradition of the University of Michigan as a backdrop,” Ablauf wrote.

The release says areas available for rent include the Michigan Stadium Press Box, Golf Course Clubhouse, Regents Guest Area, Athletic Director’s Suite, Junge Family Champions Center and the Jack Roth Stadium Club.

Additionally, the athletic department will now be offering guided tours of athletic facilities, according to the release. The “deluxe tour” will take guests through all parts of Michigan Stadium as well as Yost Ice Arena, Schembechler Hall, Wilpon Baseball and Softball Complex, Cliff Keen Arena and Crisler Arena — if construction doesn’t inhibit the ability for visitors to enter.

|